Caroline was born in Hanover on 16 March 1750
- She was the 8th Child and fourth daughter of Isaac Herschel who was a Jewish oboist
- She discovered several comets (A comet is an icy small Solar System body that, when passing close to the Sun, heats up and begins to outgas, displaying a visible atmosphere or coma, and sometimes also a tail. These phenomena are due to the effects of solar radiation and the solar wind upon the nucleus of the comet.)
- She was awarded a gold medal from the Astronomical Society of London and from King of Prussia.
- The asteroid (discovered 1888) was named after Caroline’s second given name,
- Google published a Google Doodle on her 266th birthday
- Throughout her writings, she repeatedly makes it clear that she desires to earn an independent wage and be able to support herself.
- She died at the age 97 when back then average life was 55.
- She was a trained singer, before dwelling into Astronomy
- She had once said “One of the greatest gifts my brother and I received from my mother was her love of literature and language. With their boundless energy, libraries open the door to these worlds and so many others. I urge young and old alike to embrace all that libraries have to offer.”
19 total views, 1 today